About Me

My photo
Milton, Ontario, Canada

Monday, June 4, 2012

Bread & Honey 5k Race Report

Yesterday was the Bread & Honey races. I had decided to make this race my goal 5k race this year even though I had spent the winter training for a marathon instead of training for speed. I was pretty sure I could PB at sub 26:50, but I really wanted to finish the race in 25:00.

The day/night before the race was spent at my parent’s house as we were having our house painted. It was a pretty relaxed day but I slept like crap (as I always do at my parents). Fergus must have known that I had a race because he was up at 5:43, 17 minutes before the alarm was set to go off.

I ate some breakfast and headed out to Streetsville with plenty of time to spare. I had brought a garbage bag to wear while waiting for the start because I didn't want to check a bag, so when I parked, I got my stuff sorted out and put on my bag. I walked over to the high school where the race starts and felt kinda silly with my bag as no one else was wearing one and it wasn't raining or even that cold. After my first bathroom stop, I realized that I didn't have any gum and headed back to the truck to get that and my sunglasses (and to drop off my phone and garbage bag).

I decided to do a warm up so I jogged for about 10 minutes from the parking lot, around the school and along some side streets. I just kept it easy and got some sweat going. I headed to the port-o-potty for a final bathroom stop as I didn't want to go back inside the school. From there I headed to the corral as there was only about 10 minutes to race time. I kept looking for Lyndsey and Henry from my marathon clinic, but didn't see either of them. I was lined up a bit far back as I soon discovered.

The mayor of Mississauga, Hazel was there to give the pre-race speech, making a joke about how the weather was holding off for us, but how it didn't for the parade the day before. Oh, Hazel, no wonder you've been Mississauga's mayor since Jesus was a teenager, wit and fiscal responsibility! But I digress.

The gun went and off we went. I was too far back and had to weave like crazy in the first KM. It was downhill so I wanted to ensure that I made use of that to my advantage. I looked up and saw a back that I knew and sure enough, it was the Principal from my high school who was running the 15k race. I told him who I was and he wished me luck and off he went (speedster, who knew?)! We turned onto Britannia Road and there was Henry (easy to spot for sure). I sped up to catch him and we chatted. I told him about my goals, he asked if I had taken his advice to warm up and we chatted a bit more before I told him to go as he's so much faster than me. He enjoyed his 15k race in his homemade duct-tape and cloth barefoot "shoes".

My first two KM felt fine. I was running faster than I ever had in my entire life, but it was no problem. We were on a flat stretch and I headed to the turn banking the corner and keeping to pace. I knew the water station was coming up and I was starting to feel a bit poorly, but I basically started telling my brain to shut the f**k up and to keep running. I told myself all kinds of things:

-Just run the damn thing, it's only 5k

-You have less than 15 minutes left

-Just keep your legs going, you'll be SOOO pissed if you slow down

-Um, did I just pee myself a bit (srsly! After two 9+lbs babies, I guess the bladder is forever changed)?

-Shut the f**k up about slowing down and run this mother

-wow, those plastic drink cups must suck (ya, that's what they had, not paper ones that could be squeezed)

-it is freaking HOT

-where is the sun? I can't see with my sunglasses on

-don't forget to chew your gum

-why do I hear Knocked Up on EVERY run?

Once I passed 3k, I just spent the time getting to 4k with either those thoughts above or no thoughts at all in my head. I only looked at my watch to ensure I wasn't going below a 5 minute per KM pace. I didn't care how fast I was running, just how slow.

Right after 4k, there is a slight hill on Britannia to get you back to Joymar for the home stretch (the race is an out and back). I was trying to use my arms to pump me up the hill but I was pretty much running through quicksand. Once I got up the hill, I told myself to let go and run.

RUN!

There was about 700m left and there was an eight year old in front of me and there was no damn way he was going to beat me. Unfortunately, there was a middle-aged man just in front of me and there was no way HE was going to let me pass him (he totally crowed me to the right side of the road, almost up against the curb). Finally we passed the kid and I took off my sunglasses, then put them on, then spit out my gum all the while thinking nothing (except "Jesus, dude it is NOT the end of the world if I come in before you, asshole).

I'm pretty sure I heard my name, but I just ran as fast as I could. I saw that the clock was at 24:XX and I knew I had it as I was pretty close to the start.

I speed through the finish and just kept walking. I felt exactly how I figured I would: slightly sick, very pleased, and confident that I couldn't have run any faster:

Time: 24:37 (2m13s PB)

Place: 111/715

Category: 6/61

As you can see, I could have caught 5th place, but I have a lot of work to do if I want to place in this category!

After the race I did run into Lyndsey who also ran a PB with her injury, so it was a great day all around.

I'll be back at this race again next year for sure! I love it!

Splits:
4:53
4:55
4:56
5:00 - effing HILL
4:46



5 comments:

  1. Nice job meeting your goals Nicole! It's funny that we pretty much had the same commentary going on in our heads! Look at those show offs and their 19 minute times. I honestly don't see how people can hold that pace! Ok, I mean make that pace and then hold it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo, way to go and congrats on the new PB! I always have a similar stream of random thoughts as I'm running, and I always think I should blog about this and then promptly forget once the race ends, so I'm impressed that you can run hard and remember long enough to share with us, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats. Awesome PB.
    Way to take advantage of your fitness level from all the marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Wish I'd known there was a pre-start ceremony with Hazel speaking-somehow I missed that. On behalf of all middle aged guys, I apologize for the guy who wouldn't let you pass him at the finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge PB and smokin' race! Way to kill it!!! 5Ks hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!